PLUS Loan Applications for 2023-2024 are now available.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans are available to parents (biological or adoptive) of dependent students. Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans can be used to help cover the remaining balance on the student's account. PLUS Loan borrowers are subject to a credit check process on www.studentaid.gov to determine eligibility. The parent who wishes to apply for the PLUS Loan must have an FSA ID to begin the application process. Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans are subject to an origination fee which is deducted from the loan amount therefore, you may wish to increase the amount requested to accommodate this fee. Students must complete a FAFSA to be eligible for the parent to apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. For more information regarding the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan, CLICK HERE. For Direct PLUS Loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2023 and before July 1, 2024, the fixed interest rate is 8.05%.
STEPS TO APPLY:
- Complete the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan application.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note or MPN.
- The WWC Financial Aid Office will contact you once we have received and processed the application.
- Federal Direct Parent Plus Loans are accepted on behalf of the parent and student once the application and Master Promissory Note are completed.
Determining your PLUS Loan Amount:
Parents have two options when completing the application. Parents can select to have the maximum amount awarded up to the student's cost of attendance or you can select the amount you wish to have processed to the student's aid offer.
- Determine which option you wish to utilize in the online application.
- Communicate with your student to view billing information online after June 1st.
- Complete the application with the amount you wish to borrow.
If you need to change the amount you wish to borrow after your application has been submitted you will need to contact the WWC Financial Aid Office.
- Borrowing limits: Parents are only eligible to borrow up the cost of attendance. However, the parent may decline this loan or reduce the amount by contacting the WWC Financial Aid Office. Parent PLUS Loan funds can be used for educational expenses, so borrow only what is needed.
- The maximum eligibility amount per academic year is the school’s estimated cost of attendance minus the combined total of all other financial aid.
- Disbursement: PLUS loan proceeds are sent directly to the college in two disbursements of fall and spring. The funds are sent by electronic funds transfer (EFT). The WWC Student Accounts Office will credit loan funds to the student’s account and any excess will be refunded to the parent or the student, whoever is designated on the PLUS Application completed online.
- Repayment: Repayment of this loan begins after full disbursement. The parent borrower may be eligible for deferment options which they may discuss with the servicer.